The Level 3 City & Guilds course is an exciting programme which encourages creative, personal development and is suitable for those who wish to advance their skills and broaden their horizons!
There are two classes (both part-time);one weekly on Thursdays completed over two years and one monthly on Saturdays, completed over three years.. Previous experience of patchwork & quilting is useful but not essential as all techniques are comprehensively taught to build up knowledge and experience. For details of current dates, cost and venue, please click on the ‘Classes for September’ link on the Homepage.
The course consists of two units:
The Craft Unit covers a wide range of traditional & contemporary techniques for example:
- English piecing: Victorian Crazy, Logcabin, Cathedral window, Somerset folded, tucks & pleats…
- Block patchwork: American style, curved-pieced, foundation-pieced, Representational, Distorted..
- Applique: By hand, machine, reverse, layered & slashed, Shadow appliqué, Broderie Perse, Mola…
- Quilting: By hand, machine, Free-machine, Italian corded, Trapunto, Sashiko, Kantha…
- Plus many others including: Dyeing & printing, Box-making, Hand-made books, bags etc...
The Design Unit covers the study of creative design skills and the principles which govern all good design. This unit is common to all the City & Guilds Creative Studies courses and previous experience is not required as the emphasis is on play and experimenting! Ideas on the following subjects are researched & explored using a wide range of techniques.
- Subjects: Line, Colour, Shape, Texture & Form (3-Dimensional design).
- Techniques: Printing, painting, dyeing, stencilling, sketching, collage, markal, marbling to name a few!